Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Traditional Blog Goals And Why They DON'T Work For Me.

As much of a goal-setter and star-reacher that I am, I've come to the realization that CLEARLY it does not work for me to set blog goals. Why is that you ask?? Well, I'll tell you.
 
1. I am a planner. I like to have a set time and day for everything. I've recently learned that this is actually a talent of mine... yes, OCD tendencies can be classified as a talent (hallelujah!)... that is a topic for another day... but for today's purposes: If I were to set a new blog goal today, I would have to make it very simple and straightforward. It would not be topic based, grand-idea based, or even scheduled. The scheduled part is a problem for sure, but it doesn't have to do with writing on a schedule. It has to do with my life not following a schedule. So what I think works one week can be the complete opposite the next. It's difficult to find a routine with something you enjoy but is not completely necessary when your personal schedule makes no sense. This part of my work has been so draining recently for many reasons, but mostly because I cannot plan for anything!!! I am at work 7 days a week, at least 10 (typically closer to 15) hours a day (with the exception of Sunday, I don't work more than 4 on Sunday), but usually by Saturday night I have to convince myself that getting up for church is not an option. If I want to have the strength to conquer another week, I have to go ask for the strength.
 
I have however, started to schedule "me time" into each week because working 15 hour days and not having any time off at all was beginning to wear me to the core. So I have added: a sleep-in morning, which really means I just roll into work an hour later. Stella-time. I discussed this in my last post (which yes, was a while ago) but I have been trying to be more intentional about the time I spend with my sweet pup. She has no idea how wonderful she is to me and my mental health and yet I find it so difficult to spend real amounts of time with her. It's helping, and I think now that I've added it to my routine it will be easy to build upon. Reading time has returned to my schedule. Not a ton but a little. and I have started a prayer journal... I never wanted to keep track of my relationship with God before, but recently I have, I want to see how I communicate with him in hopes of knowing him more. All of these things have made me feel more successful on a daily basis.

2. I'm exhausted. I'm actually most creative when I am exhausted BUT not usually the best versed NOR am I the most organized, best at spelling or even able to create a real sentence. This can be problematic for someone who is using writing as a creative outlet.

3. It's not good writing. If I say that I'm going to set a goal to write everyday for a month... By day 4 I'm not even pre-thinking what I'm writing I am really just writing because I committed to doing it... and when I re-read it on day 5 I decide that I don't like this goal and I'm going to set a new one, in a week.

None of these things are helpful in getting me to do it, helping me become a better writer or making me want to do it... It actually turns something I enjoy and use as a time for me to be alone with my thoughts, into a job that I don't even want to schedule into my day.

With all of this being said... I am a goal setter and a planner and I want this to be a routine, something I can count on. Instead of setting a goal I know will just make me feel defeated. I am going to set 1 simple SMART goal. SMART stands for specific, measurable, attainable, realistic and timely.

My goal is this: Tomorrow, before bed, I am going to sit down and write to you about my newly discovered talents.
 
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment