Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Warning Labels for Myself

I have been mulling on this post for a while...

A few weeks ago I had one of those moments with myself, that makes me shake my head (yes, sometimes I shake my head at myself) and of course I shared it with my boss, because I'm that honest.

I had been struggling with a camp that I was running, a camp about all of the real-life heroes out there. I just didn't have any good ideas. Everything I was coming up with was appropriate for middle-school kids or preschoolers. Not my K-2nd group. 

Then, I had an epiphany... I somehow managed to completely forget that I was a junior EMT once, and not only that, I had gone through EMT school and volunteered with a Fire Department! I lived in a small town where the rescue teams were built by volunteers, it was an awesome experience. DUH! This should be an easy camp!

I had officially LOST MY MIND. I decided that my poor boss probably needed a warning label for me before she hired me... Then I started thinking, what would that say??

Warning! Read this Before Hiring!
  1. Will make you shake your head.
  2. Needs a crafting corner.
  3. Occasionally throws herself under the bus.
  4. Asks a million questions before jumping in to a new project.
  5. Does need to cry in your office once a month.
  6. Does NOT fail well.
  7. Is honest to a fault.
  8. Will work until she burns out.
  9. Likes responsibility.
  10. Works well with others- mostly.
I think if she read my warning label first she probably wouldn't have hired me, but she'll definitely keep me and love me now.

This recent event also made me think that I could probably use a warning label for friends and men.

Warning! Read this Before Befriending!

For my friendship warning, I asked my Best Friends! Obviously they know what warnings they needed about me better than I do! This is what they came up with (my commentary to the right):
  1. "Crazy." - mostly because she asks questions like this
  2. "The bestest, lovable, caring, dog-loving friend ever"- so loving, more wine?
  3. "Do not leave alone with cheese" - or ice cream.
  4. "Is an excellent listener" -  Does she need a phone call?
  5. "Speaks truth and love" - I love this one <3
  6. "Tends to squeal and giggle when excited"- Who me?
  7. "Brute Honesty"- Finally somebody tells it like it is.
  8. "Warning: contents under immense pressure, but can surely be alleviated through ice cream runs, and the 3 'L's': Long Talks, laughing and Loyalty. Once alleviated, contents will have forever changed your life!" - Amen! That is love.
Warning! Read this Before Dating!

This one is for a future guy, this one was my favorite! I have been single for quite sometime and therefore am pretty comfortable being myself. While I never want to stop growing and learning, I am proud and comfortable with the person I have grown into.- Take me as I am!
  1. Easily Excitable- she's simple.
  2. Happiness= Cheese+Chocolate+Wine - Lots of wine, and flowers never hurt anybody :)
  3. She is spiritually invested, but considers it a very personal journey- believes everyone has the right to practice their beliefs/ spirituality/ religion in their own way.
  4. Needs to have time to herself - it's okay to go out with your friends.
  5. Loves to try new things - is adventurous.
  6. Hates to ask for help - and stubborn.
  7. Has a trusting heart - will fall hard.
  8. Grew up too fast, but has a child's spirit - likes to joke and will play pranks on you!
  9. Will practice hard enough to beat you at your own game :) - Nothing wrong with a little friendly competition!
  10. Has lived through many dark days, does not need someone to save her - but super heroes are sexy!
  11. Asks a lot of questions - likes to get to know you. 
  12. Likes to laugh and smile! - a whole lot.
If you had a warning label what would it say??


1 comment:

  1. This is a really neat post - I think we always focus on trying to sell ourselves in job interviews, make ourselves seem as stable as possible when looking for new friendships and relationships, and almost sweep our warning labels under the rug, out of sight. Mine would probably say "easily unnerved" - whether it be people inviting themselves to my house, sending me into a cleaning frenzy, people changing plans on me, which is totally awful because I plan everything out like 5 steps ahead, or people interfering with my own plans that I have, which shows how neurotic I can truly be (lol). It's neat to see that I'm not the only one who knows their warning labels and actually thinks about them!!
    ~ Samantha

    ReplyDelete