Sunday, March 6, 2016

Lifestyle Changes: Step 3

Step 3: Survival of the fittest and dreams about snickers bars.

Hello again!

I am 21 days into the Whole30 and I kind-of love it. My energy level is through the roof, my skin is fantastic, most of my cravings have diminished, and my pants are nice and loose.

If you'd like to read my journey up until now you can click here and here!

Today, I'd like to tell you about the not-so-fun parts of the Whole30:

  • Hands-down, the most difficult part is going to be this coming week: broke and bored of the same foods. I am starving ALL the time, but I work in non-profit land and therefore am living off of "what's left" until I get paid again on Friday. This is CRAZY difficult on the Whole30, again because I am starving ALL the time... So what does that mean for this week?? Not much variety for 4 days, but I can handle it. Luckily, I have a really awesome friend who is willing to share the surplus of meats in her freezer with me.
    • eggs, everyday. 
    • leftover chili until it's gone.
    • potatoes, everyday.
    • frozen broccoli and butternut squash, everyday.
    • tuna packs, everyday.
  • This is also, the time frame that food boredom is supposed to be at it's worst... this may mean tears this week. I don't want to see an egg for a month.
  • Dreams. On the "what to expect" list, there is a time frame that tells you that you will dream of junk food. It made me laugh because I encountered this one whole week early and it was entirely correct. I had the most realistic dream of sitting in a snickers bar, eating it by the handfuls, 3 nights in a row, and felt more and more guilty after every night. I also, during this time had an obnoxious craving for a glass of milk (I am a dairy lover and was raised in a family that consumed absurd amounts of dairy)... I actually called one of my closest friends and my dad who are both milk drinkers and asked them to drink the biggest glass they could find and then tell me how wonderfully satisfying it was. That's how bad my craving was.
  • Bloating. I had 2 or 3 days that I was continuously bloated... apparently this is "gut healing", but is super uncomfortable. I had a hard time standing for a short period of time. Luckily, it didn't last long.
  • Everyone keeps talking about Pizza! Of course the minute you say "no" to a food, everyone you know is eating it ALL of the time. I'm trying to convince myself I don't want it, everyday.
I have some friends who are interested in doing the Whole30. Next week, I am planning to share my favorite recipes, the list of foods I have been keeping on hand, and how I've been eating enough food to last through reallyyyy long work days.


Most difficult part of the Whole30 this week: egg-boredom.
Most difficult food to avoid this week: undeniably cheese, and the Easter chocolate I have sitting in my fridge.
Best find this week: compliant Bacon!
Favorite meal this week: Chocolate Chili - if I make this again, I will try it with more veggies and hot peppers.
How I feel this week: Energized. I only slept 3-4 hours each night and felt like a 9 year old on a hamster wheel who had an energy drink or 3. It was a little crazy, but also very cool to not respond to a "how are you?" with an "I'm tired."


No comments:

Post a Comment